Content

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

NYC Living: Reducing Clutter - Storage as an Alternative

while most in suburbia use basements as storage, if you’re from the Empire State - New York you’ve often wondered where you would store all that extra stuff we too often collect. I've learned that to survive NYC clutter, its best to invest in self storage units. You might have seen the various signs and listings of different self storage centers but how do you pick which storage center to use and what to pack in your storage unit?

Before you begin to move stuff into your storage units, remember, unless your storage facility is brand new, people have probably used your storage unit before - so clean it out!


Here are some tips:

1.Store your off season clothing. Things like those big over-sized coats, but make sure to clean them professionally before storing. Bugs are attracted to food and sweat stains. In a storage facility, you won’t be monitoring your items on a consistent basis – so make sure you won’t be attracting moths and other clothes chewing insects.  You can use a clear vinyl canvas clothes closet to properly store them.


2. Bikes and other seasonal items. Bikes aren't used all year round but they take up loads of space - especially in NYC apartments. Take that bike, scooter, skateboard, - all to your storage unit and pack them away when the weather gets too cold to be outdoors for long periods of time.


3. Suitcases and other travel paraphernalia  Suitcases are ideal for travel but can clutter any hallway and bulk up any closet. This is another item that should be taken to the self-storage center.


4. Memorabilia. Finding storage for your prized memorabilia can also be very daunting. You want to display them but you can’t put everything out on display. Take the items and place them into clear plastic bins - labeled and sealed.


5. Bulky Appliances. That juicer that your sister in law gave you as a wedding gift would be the items that would be a good idea to store.  You might want to place in storage until you own your own home.


Rule of thumb:
Make sure you take inventory of everything in your self-storage unit and that your boxes are carefully labeled in a very detailed manner. The frustration when looking for something in your storage unit and without labels – can be tenfold when you have no idea where you don’t remember where you packed the roller skates and it’s a warm beautiful day out!

Renting a storage unit is a great way to keep your apartment uncluttered but make sure you keep it as organized as you would your own home! 

14 comments:

A.M. Gwynn says:
at: June 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM said...

Excellent tips KG!

Been there done the New York thing, now find myself living oh so tiny again in Seattle. ha

Can't get away it seems... and never, never have enough space for all this stuff! ;0
Thanks

Milk and Honey Home says:
at: July 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM said...

Okay, loving your blog! Can't wait to read more. Julie

KG says:
at: July 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM said...

Thank you for stopping by!
:)

Julie M. says:
at: July 5, 2010 at 7:41 AM said...

I can't say I've done the New York living, but I have done Chicago living and dealt with the basement lock and key storage before. This is such great advice! I hope you had a fabulous 4th of July and have a great upcoming week!

KG says:
at: July 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM said...

Big City living! It's all relevant and we pretty much find ourselves in similar situations! Glad you found the advice helpful!

Hope you had a great 4th!

Tree says:
at: July 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM said...

Great advice! I don't live in NYC...but do live in an apartment in NJ, and with 10 people....we are crowded enough without having all of the bikes, winter clothes, etc. Never thought about getting a storage unit!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and following! And for leaving such a nice comment. I'm glad I could give you a little inspiration with living comfortably with a large family...you do what you have to do, and we make it work for us! I wish you the same! :)

P.S. I visited your website too...awesome work! You definitely know what you're doing with the designing!!

Tree (aka Mother of Pearl)
Mother of Pearl It Is

Tree says:
at: July 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KG says:
at: July 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM said...

Hi Tree,
Thank you thank you for your kind comments! I just always like to give praise where it's due! People like you deserve it, of course! Thanks for stopping by my website. I do have to add more pictures but my photographer has been a bit on the lazy side lately! :) But I'll get to it!

Madison Hill says:
at: July 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM said...

Thanks for the tips. My son is a collector of EVERYTHING! I mean he collects newspapers, magazines, sports cards, even bubble gum wrappers (which he says hold sentimental value). Someone had suggested I rent a storage unit for him, you just sealed the deal!

Kristin says:
at: July 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM said...

What a great idea! When we lived in 'the city' it would have been so beneficial to have a storage until for off season items.

Stoppy by from Lady Bloggers - can't wait to read more!

Mariah says:
at: July 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM said...

Fantastic tips! Even if you are not from NY! I am going to look around your site more now:) I am so glad you were in front of me at SITS today girl! Welcome aboard.

KG says:
at: July 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM said...

Thanks, Mariah! I'm glad that anyone is able to use it. It's all city living!

Karen@WaistingTime says:
at: July 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM said...

I hate clutter! My husband and I have not moved often but each time we say to ourselves how we are lucky to be going to MORE space. I dread the day we decide to downsize.

Self Storage says:
at: January 10, 2011 at 4:45 AM said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I really need a storage space for my son's belongings.

Behind The Web

Pages

Blogroll

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Pages - Menu

Followers

About

About

Follow me on Facebook :P

Something